Friday, September 21, 2007

Utada Hikaru - Beautiful World/Kiss & Cry [single]


When I heard that Hikki was going to provide the song for the revival of Evangelion Project. I was a little worried. Although her previous songs had a tie in with another project, I always felt that she was writing for that project and not for herself.

Well, when Keep Tryin' was released, I finally felt Hikki was back to herself. She was writing songs for herself.

This single completely took me by surprise. Beautiful World felt familiar the first time I listened to it. It was rather calming and I wanted to listen to it again after it finished. To accurately described the song, I have to say it's has the atmosphere of Passion, the feel of the Deep River era, and the playfulness from her First Love days. I've been listening to this single everyday for the past week.

Kiss & Cry, the other A-side, was released earlier in the summer. I loved it the first time I heard it. Only Hikki can sample herself and still have a completely different song. The sample of Hotel Lobby (one of my favorites from the Exodus album) grabbed my attention like a boxer knocking out his/her opponent. I love the beat, because I was reminded of the days she worked with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.

Fly Me to the Moon (In Other Words) - 2007 mix - aside from the added strings..this song isn't different the from the recording from back in 1999 (or around that time). The string definitely gave me an EVANGELION feeling, but it was a nice reminiscing song for me.


Overall, I was really happy with this purchase. I had this single on repeat all day, so I guess it means I'm really enjoying it.

2 comments:

geishaarmy said...

beautiful world/kiss & cry. soundtrack for the last week!

love Beautiful World. and i'm glad i'm not the only one who felt i'd had heard the song before the first time. it was strangely familiar, i agree. the song has definitely helped me get excited for the EVA: Rebuild movies.

Kiss & Cry is a nice track too. had it's little R&B groove. and yes, hikki sampling herself. i think that's so cool. i like when she did that for Simple & Clean. definitely, awesome.

Fly Me to the Moon 2007 Mix. pretty much like the 2000ish mix off the Wait & See ~Risk~ mini-album. but it definitely had its own nuances and charms.

Unknown said...

It's a very good song. I've even heard Vocaloid's version and I admit I really like that one too, even though its only for 45 seconds