Friday, September 21, 2007

Utada Hikaru - Flavor of Life [single]


What can I say? I'm not a fan of J-drama...but I'm a fan of Hikki. Hana-Yori Dango will not be mentioned again in this entry.


Flavor of Life - I like this version the best. It's not too fast, and not too slow. The more I listened to it the more it grew on me. The layering with backup vocals added so much more solidarity to the song. It definitely felt more fuller and became a stronger track.

Flavor of Life (Ballad Version) - This was used as the insert song, and I found it to be rather draggy. I loved the simple composition of the piano, and the strings, but the tune didn't move fast enough. I often find myself skipping this track.

Flavor of Life -Antidote Mix- I do enjoy this R&B feel of this mix, but again I thought it was extremely too slow. If the tempo were upted just a bit I think it would have made such an impact on the listeners.

Despite two versions, I really like the song, and really the photography that went with single. The images are fun, and are consistent in even in the packaging. Who can ignore the yummy Onigiri seen throught the packaging?

1 comment:

geishaarmy said...

i heard the ballad version first, while watching the unmentionable drama. i swear after listening to that song start playing in every episode, i wanted to strangle Hikki for writing it.

i was a little hesitant to listen to the original pop version. but after a week of Beautiful World/Kiss & Cry, i decided to give it a whirl. it's infinitely better than the ballad version. but i think i really liked the antidote mix. it definitely was the best version.