Thursday, May 31, 2007

Angela Aki - Home [album]

My younger sister went to Japan and spent the summer of 2006 staying with a friend of ours. As a great sister she is, she traveled to three cities in Japan in search of a copy of this album the week of release. She not only found a copy, she also grabbed me a copy of the first press release which included a DVD. The DVD contains all of the music videos released to this point in her career. I appreciate this gift a lot!


What can I say about this album, that doesn't need the words: amazing, spectacular, stunning, beautiful.

As the first major album release, I was completely blown away by the amount of evidence Angela Aki provides to her musical talent.

The composition of the songs through layering and the push and pull of melody and harmony grabbed me and hasn't' let go. Her voice is powerful, but not overbearing. I like that she doesn't present herself or her music as some pop idol.

The album is just "honest". There are no lies attached to marketing or the music. The honesty behind is makes me consider it as worthwhile. Worthwhile music is always a welcome change.


People complain about her covers, but I like that she has a signature look to her covers. I immediately know it's her work and I appreciate the subtle changes that are present. She doesn't need flashy photoshop imagery to sell her music. Her music sells itself.


Favorite tracks: (must listen to - in my opinion)

track 04: Music
track 07: 宇宙 (Uchuu)
track 08: Rain -album version: new arrangement; originally on Indie release, ONE.
track 12: HOME
track 13: Your Love Song

No comments: