Thursday, May 31, 2007

Angela Aki - One [mini-album]





Angela's Japanese Indies Release under the Virgo Music label. This collection of tracks is the reason why Nobuo Uematsu has selected her as the vocalist of "Kiss Me Goodbye."

The CD consists of 6 tracks in which Angela's vocals and piano are the only heard. The words I come up with to describe this mini-album are: pure, true, and honest.

We're All Alone - The first track. Her vocals are what carry this song. The piano serves as background support, keeping beat and tempo, but work well to push her voice and not over power. A nice opening to the CD.

Rain - Also included in her major album release Home, this track is the wonderful. Youtube has a live performance of this song, either as a live performance or playing on my Itunes, the song never fails to catch. I always sing along with it. I prefer this version to the one on the album. It think it is perfect in this form.

A Song For You - originally written and performed by Leon Russell in the 1970's, Angela Aki has covered it and wrote the Japanese lyrics to this classic. This definitely shows she's capable of song writing whether it's in Japanese or English or crossing the language barriers. She's tackled a song that has been covered by many other artists before her...in my opinion, she stands strong among them without fear.

Warning - The most upbeat of this six songs, Angela sings completely in English. Being both Japanese and America she easily flows between languages. Warning is a great song and is my favorite of this CD. A must listen too.

Never is a Promise - Angela Aki is often compared to other piano mistresses such as Sarah Mclachlan, Fiona Apple (maybe even Tori Amos - but I personally don't hear this comparison). Fiona Apple is one of her influences and cover a song is understandable. I actually think that she did a great job with this song. The original is what set the standard, and I feel Angela has performed it in her way and it's just as good as Fiona's. Although, fans of Fiona I know personally have told me Angela has done a great job. I agreed after listening to the original.

愛するもの (Ai Suru Mono) - This song ends this mini-a.bum journey and leaves me wanting to listen more. It's a good thing I had gotten this CD after purchasing her four singles. This track is just beautiful. Many people find it boring, but its the simplicity of the song that I find attractive. It's not trying to be something greater or lesser. It's just a song, and I appreciate that. It was featured in a Sony DVD camcorder commercial and it was very appropriate for the commercials concept. She performed this during her Concert at Budo-kan a capella and it blew me away. It was so mesmerizing.


No comments: