Thursday, May 31, 2007

Angela Aki - サクラ色 [single]

I think for the first time I've come across a single that opens and closes with tracks that seem to speak to one another.

サクラ色 (Sakurairo) - The song opens with a nice piano medley that sets up the full arrangement of the piece. I immediate found myself drawn into the intricate layering of strings, drum, and piano. It's almost like the entire song was performed by a choir, just replace human voices with voices of musical instruments. The song is passionate, yet gentle and builds up the tension just to let you gracefully rest at the end. *constant repeat on my Itunes*

On & On - this is a nice intermission. It's catches the ear and doesn't let go. highly addictive.

Power of MUSIC - I was hesitant at first. Why would my favorite song on the HOME album need a dance beat. Although, I still don't think it needed a dance beat, it's not a bad arrangement. New lyrics help in the listening process as well.

HOME (piano version) - the perfect ending, and best compliment to Sakurairo. the bit of the chorus in Sakurairo ties nicely to this version and made this single perfect. I prefer this to the studio version. Angela Aki's voice with just a piano is golden.

No comments: