Thursday, May 31, 2007

Utada - Exodus [album]


When I first heard Hikki was recording an English album I was extremely thrilled. I was excited because I seriously thought she had a great shot at having a great career in the North American market.

Just like many others, I was surprised when Exodus finally hit stores. The sound that was Exodus was completely unexpected! I didn't at first find a nice niche for me to grab a hold of.

I don't want to say I was disappointed, because I knew this album would be different.

As an experimentation, I found the album interesting. Hikki explored new sounds and new subjects. I was happy with the growth the album showed in her musical career. But would the American public appreciate it as well?


Many people blame the marketing, but I don't think that's the entire problem as to why this album didn't sell in America. The music on this album was not radio friendly. Singers in North America have to have a strong foundation of fans in the states before they can produce an album that's not radio friendly, especially if the artist is trying to break into the pop scene. Hikki's fan base in America isn't as large as we would like to believe. Yes, lack of promotion didn't help, but the music itself needed to be more American friendly. (my opinion)


Do I think that Hikki lost her chance of making big in the North American market? No, not at all. I think that a second go would be a great opportunity to really dive into the American Music scene. She's made a ripple....all she needs to do is make some waves.

No comments: